I am actually not one to walk around spouting “family values” even though I think I have strong family values.
But we have a political party that proclaims it’s the party of family values, and it defines those all too often as marriage to be a union between a man and a woman that lasts a lifetime, and that family values must be rooted in religious foundations, preferably or possibly exclusively those of Christian origin.
- Yet, Trump was on the nomination stage with his five children from three different wives.
- Melania said she has been with Donald for 18 years, yet he divorced his second wife 16 years ago.
- Sitting next to Marla Maples in an interview in 1994 and talking about his one-year-old daughter Tiffany: “She’s got Marla’s legs,” and then he moved his hands toward his chest, cupped them and added: “We don’t know whether or not she’s got this part yet, but time will tell.”
- Here is a collection on The Daily Show that shows Trump’s misogyny under the microscope.
- And then, of course, there is the famous: “If she weren’t my daughter, I’d be dating her.”
I don’t know about this party of family values, but I think they chose the wrong standard bearer.