Here is what The People need to demand in terms of a Congressional Reform Act:
- Term Limits. 12 years only, one of these possible options:
- Two Six-year Senate term.
- Six Two-year House terms.
- One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
- No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.
- Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote itself a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
- Congress loses its current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws it imposes on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective immediately.
Makes sense to me. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their terms, then go home to their farms and shops and back to work, just like all the rest of us. It’s too easy for Boehner to do away with my healthcare system if his own healthcare is not affected. It’s easy to vote for privatization of the Social Security System if your own retirement is not affected by the outcome.